Thursday, March 15, 2012

abundance

For some of you who know me; you might think all I do is find ways to make reality constructions fit into the left brain/right brain schema. Well, you are sort of right, but that’s not all I do. I have been pondering a situation where someone is trying to feed a lot of people for not much money (this being a nonprofit you know). One of the things that makes me crazy is trying to do things for cheap, (except for buying shoes). I thought back to when I did catering for my former husband, backstage catering, where you could not really get away with cheap, since these people had riders, and you had to buy pretty much, precisely what was on the rider, or you better be ready to explain why not. But, in entertainment, there is abundance, in non-profit, scarcity.

And I got to thinking, why is it that most men I know live in abundance, or at least abundance thinking, and most women I know live trying to be cheap? Now I know that as a whole, women do not make the same amount of money as men, and do not have the same access to resources, but I’m starting to wonder if that’s because we accept it? We think it’s our only choice, be cheap or go hungry. I’m also the first to hate it when people try to make people feel like there’s something wrong with the way they think, when they are simply victims of the economy, so I don’t want to do that, but I still don’t want to move away from having gender equality, either.

And if gender equality is pushed along by more women having abundance thinking, well, then, so be it. And is it just my imagination, or do most non-profits seem like ‘make-do’ female type organizations, while for-profits have that abundance, shiny tile floor, zippy elevator kind of masculine feel? What, I wonder, would happen, if non-profits really believed there was lots and lots of money out there? What, I wonder, would happen, if for-profits starting being a little bit more thoughtful about how they spend money?

So what is this abundance/scarcity about? Is it the right brain, the holistic brain that thinks there is always enough, and the left brain, the sequential brain, that tries to count, to see if we have enough? Or is this simply another way that men have more power, by believing that there is enough and women are just scared into thinking they will starve, or be barefoot? Maybe this is me over-thinking, and not wanting to be any part of cheap, because making do is not what I like to do. Making do implies that my time is worth less, that I can’t really afford what I want, and that I’m hoping people won’t notice. That I don’t really want to feed them well, I just don’t want them to starve. This goes against my belief system, the one that includes the tenant that life is a banquet.

No comments:

Post a Comment