Sunday, April 11, 2010

DEUS EX MACHINA

A deus ex machina (literally, in Latin, "god from the machine") is a plot device whereby a previously intractable problem is suddenly and abruptly solved with a contrived introduction of a new character, ability, or object. It is generally considered to be a poor storytelling technique because it undermines the story's internal logic. (Wikipedia.)

I learned this term many years ago as an undergrad in English. Before I knew how silly it would be in terms of job security to get a degree in English. However, the degree has served me well in other ways. This term has followed me around, coming to the forefront of my brain every so often, like a mantra. “At this point in my life, please: deus ex machina.”

Perhaps I wish for this more often than I should. Most often secretly, wishing, waiting for a deus ex machina sort of twist, solution, to my life. Sometimes I chide myself, as if it's a childish wish. But now I'm wondering, really, is this childish? Silly? And how does this undermine a story’s internal logic? According to whom? Doesn’t this sometimes happen in life? Is there internal logic to life? Maybe that’s the real question.

I have actually had these sorts of solutions to problems in my life, something unexpected happens and ‘solves’ the problem. I worried for months about an old light fixture in my house fizzing out and burning down the house. I started a new job and I met someone who specialized in retro light fixtures, and he not only fixed it but re-installed it for me.

This term seems to hint at what prayer is. Like the prayer, “Lord make a way where there is no way.” I am curious about these things. How does prayer work, does it work? There has been research on prayer, and some say ‘yes,’ this does help. How then? I want to know. I want to understand. But then, therein lies the rub; I’m starting to believe that a good life is a life that leaves space open for God, or whatever benevolent force is in the world to work, outside of our way of knowing. A life that instead of filling up all the spaces, leaves room. Room for not knowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment