Sunday, May 13, 2012

head against the sky


your little butt pressed up against my ribs
I thought they would break with the tension
I would push it away, push it down and get some relief
until there was barely room left for the two of us

then you were born and your little head
pressed against my chest soft with hunger and I fed you
until you grew stronger and you
pressed your head against my chest in resistance to be held

you learned to hold your own head up
your feet and legs grew strong enough to hold you upright
your mouth formed words to tell me no
you grew strong enough to press your head against the sky

I thought there was barely room left for the two of us
when the sky opened up, and your head was no longer
pressing against my chest but next to mine
head to head, heart to heart, words forming connections

birthing you I birthed myself in joy in meaning in motherhood

No comments:

Post a Comment