Monday, February 20, 2012

a blue box

a few weeks ago I woke up knowing
I needed to make another box
a blue box
a deep blue box

every day since then I would wake up
thinking I needed to start the box
but would get distracted
by getting ready for work

by checking email
then facebook
then reading more
of the book I was reading
and soon it was time for work

until the next morning
when I would wake up and think
I should meditate
or write
but no
I’d check email
check facebook
feel lonely
empty
go to work

today I woke up at 6:00 am
and knew
that today
I must begin the box

a week ago
I’d bought a postcard
of Frida Kahlo
my hero
in so many ways
to give to a friend
but I never did
I carried it about in my purse
and then last week I knew
Frida would be part of the box

I got down on my knees
and dug the paint
out from under my bed
found the just right cigar box
took off the loose top
and opened the blue paint

all my body became alive
as I painted the box blue
and all the things that I keep doing
mean nothing
when there is paint
on a brush
in the pale morning light

No comments:

Post a Comment