Thursday, June 24, 2010

Marscapone Walls

I awoke this morning wanting a change. A big change. Like just having an adorable new baby granddaughter isn’t enough for me. Being able to live the amazing life I live isn’t enough. I just want more, sometimes, like this morning. I looked at my blue bedroom walls, and thought, just too blue. I need grey, or cream, or marscapone, the new pottery barn color, to paint my walls. So, I’m on the Pottery Barn site looking for inspiration and that just wasn’t enough either. I wanted to see something to engage my imagination and then I remembered the Roche-Bobois site, now there’s a site for dreaming, for imagining.

In one of my many past temp jobs (that I didn’t know at the time were just temp jobs) I sold furniture at an Ashley Home Store. This huge brand new furniture warehouse goes up in Medford Minnesota, minutes from Owatonna where I lived, and I needed a job and I liked furniture. I was always more inclined to buy old furniture rather than new because I liked the lines and I like a bit of solidness in my furniture. Call me old fashioned if you will, and if people wanted the convenience and allure of new furniture, who was I to judge? I will confess, I did judge them.

I just had to be nice, sell this stuff. That proved interesting. Seems that people want their new furniture to be both cheap and well made and they want it delivered tomorrow. The impossible dream some folks dreamt was they wanted the furniture to be also American made. Seems that people lose all reasonable when buying furniture.

At Ashley Home Store, there were also empty hours of no people whatsoever in the store. So, while waiting to sell furniture to unreasonable people, I’d browse the internet, and trying to stay in the furniture realm, I looked for the Roche-Bobois site. I had never forgotten this furniture store, as there had actually been a Roche-Bobois store for a limited time in the Galleria Mall in Edina. I’m thinking maybe back in the eighties, when I lived in Edina, near the Galleria Mall and I fell in love with that store. French furniture. And yes, although there was no longer an actual store in Minnesota, there was their wonderful site. My furniture co-worker who loved furniture and design was mind-boggled, he’d grown up in Albert Lea, Minnesota and had never imagined furniture like this. So, we’d pass the hours on the Roche-Bobois site, and then sell a lamp or two to a local.

So, here I was again, looping back to Roche-Bobois through the web. If virtual reality can mimic real reality, this site does it well. I could almost imagine myself in a condo in Prague, or in a country home in Spain and it’s sort of like a mini-vacation. No big changes are in store for my life again today, I’ll go to work, keep on keeping on. I have no vacation plans and have no clue what next year holds in store. No french sofas in my foreseeable future. Maybe I’ll have time to paint in the fall, today, as I leave for work, I can dream of Marscapone walls.

No comments:

Post a Comment