Monday, April 22, 2013

Just Like Life


life imitates criminal minds
the tv show
sometimes I can watch
sometimes I can’t
my daughter says
mom its just a tv show
but often the images
hang on too long in my brain
playing out in the middle of the day
or when I walk alone

life imitates art
headlines
bombs blood guns
i drive to owatonna
sleepy owatonna
home of bullies at schools
meth
that kind of typical 
american pain and
violence

i drive into town on bridge street
cars pull over obediently to 
the sound of sirens
a cop car
another
then dark suv’s just like the fbi
just like criminal minds
just like this week
all over the news

i get to my daughter’s home
oh yeah, she says, 
they’re after some guy from faribault
neighboring town
15 miles north
he stabbed his girlfriend
and torched a car
sure enough
they find him in a field
a little after one
in owatonna east off of bridge

we passed law enforcement
driving into town 
at one on a sunday
afternoon
sleepy little town wakes up
to more violence
just like tv 
no one says
mom its just a tv show

No comments:

Post a Comment