Sunday, November 11, 2012

Veteran's Day



My Dad, his friends, his brothers, all served in WWII.  Of this I am sure, no matter what training, how prepared they thought they were, they had no clue, absolutely no clue, as to what serving their country meant, fresh out of high school, in 1944, in WWII. Because he was half Scandinavian, because he was stoic, because, perhaps there were no words for this when he was sober, I know little of my dad’s experience in the Navy, except for the story of when the aircraft carrier he was on was bombed, and he lived. He would tell me about it when he'd been drinking, time and time again. 


18 years old
Navy man flying overseas
to serve on a huge ship
there’s things I can say
things I cannot say
things I cannot talk about
but I am ready to go

Billie my girl is waiting for me
back in Minneapolis
back in high school
my younger brother will take her 
to her dances
keep an eye on her
for me

Letters I write
pass through the ranks
location information
blackened out
security is priority
“loose lips sink ships”
secrets I hold 

Stationed on an aircraft carrier 
the ship has been hit 
and I am ordered to lock down
the damaged sections
the parts that are smoking 
on fire
men screaming help me help

I can only lock the doors
as quickly as I can 
their voices fading in the din
in the roar
in the thump thump 
thumping of my own heart
beating and heaving inside my chest

I never knew that for the rest of 
my life
this would haunt me
chase me
find me crying in a beer to my 
children 
who could only imagine in horror

Once I got home and married
my young love
once we became parents
to eight count them eight 
children
paying bills on Saturday
church on Sunday

Jesus could not take 
away the noise
the cries for help
the weariness 
I carried
the burden I bore
that I am honored 
for




2 comments:

  1. A touching poem Theresa. I was just turned 20, married two months earlier, when I was sent to Vietnam. I felt and feel many of these emotions like your Dad. A piece of our youth we could never get back. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, and you're welcome. I'd hoped this poem could honor my dad and other vets as well. I don't think we have to have the same experiences exactly to understand each other.

    ReplyDelete