Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My New Mantra is Enough

Caught between the polarity of abundance and scarcity, I’ve lived with both. More scarcity than abundance, depending upon what we’re measuring. And in the scarcity, I was hungry for more. Leaving small town Owatonna, hungry for adventure, hungry for new friends, and hungry for a chance to live a life that felt authentic to me. A life not constrained by the role of single mom, although that is still part of my identity. A life not constrained.

It’s been nearly five years now, since I left Owatonna to return to Minneapolis, my home town. Have I head enough? In some ways, I miss the quiet of Owatonna, especially when a ruckus in my alley on a Saturday night wakes me at 3:00 am. But not enough to make me go back and leave the ever changing landscape of my city, or the quiet and awe that comes upon me when I drive around Lake Calhoun at dusk.

To be honest, however, during this transition, I have been quietly scared. Scared that I wouldn’t ‘make it’ that I wouldn’t have ‘enough.’ And I think now I need to not focus on scarcity, looking back to how isolated I felt in Owatonna, nor look toward the unknown future, hoping for abundance, but to be in the present, in enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment