Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Parking Spot

I worked a full day yesterday, met someone new for lunch, (networking with another therapist), took my youngest daughter downtown for her voice lesson, saw a client, and then raced over to go meditate, on 31st and Hennepin, where it’s always impossible to find a place to park. I drove South on Hennepin, turned around a few blocks and went North on Hennepin. Only a block away from my destination, an open spot, yes! The spot that I pulled into was behind a driveway, and there in the driveway sat a car that once I was in the spot, I realized, must have turned left into the driveway to get into the spot I was now in.

I wondered, then, maybe he’s just backing out, turning around? How can we know what’s going on with other cars? From his angle backing out, and my angle parked on this busy street, there was not much chance that I could get out of the spot and let him in. He backed out and I saw him drive back and forth again. I sat there for a few minutes, thinking, “Should I try to give him the spot ‘back’”? And by wondering ‘back’ I’m thinking “Did he have the spot first?” I was worried he was angry. I thought about leaving and not going to meditation.

When I walked into the room where we meditate, the room was full, but one of the things that I like about Tergar meditation, is that they just keep scootching in and making more room. It’s a welcoming place. I found an empty pillow and sat there wondering if I was wrong to have parked where I did. I wondered if the person who was in the driveway finally found a parking spot and was here in the room; and I wondered if he was mad at me, judging me. I wondered why I was obsessing about this. I got the spot, he didn’t. Did I have to always give in? Is that the most Zen way? Giving in? How could I have known that there was a car in the drive way to begin with? I didn’t see it until I had already parked. I realized that if I gave the spot up, the person who was in the driveway would be unlikely to get that spot. I wondered why it always seemed like the best way out for me, was to just give in.

So, I meditated on being OK with winning once in a while. I meditated on dealing with what is, when it’s in your favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment