Monday, February 11, 2013

First Poem


Audrey’s First Poem

My 2 year old granddaughter is running about my second floor condo, end of January, barefoot. She attempts to open the back door, which leads to the deck outside. I ask her, “Do you want to go outside?” She continues to try to open the door. I pick her up, hold her close to me, telling her, it’s cold outside, and we don’t have coats on. 

We step outside, she looks around and says, 

It’s winter outside,
dark and blue. 


Why I am a Writer

I struggle with my identity as therapist
I heal
I discern
I hold out hope
when none is in sight
I can make you believe
it will be alright

I do not diagnose
like the doctors do
having the blues
is not like having the flu

there is no pill
no quick fix
only the magic of love
and the alchemy of time

a writer scoops up
thoughts, words
and pours them out
to all who will listen
accessible
no sorcery is needed 

no combination of quick words and number
to draw a circle that you are inside of
only throwing caution to the wind
to draw so large a circle
everyone is within 

No comments:

Post a Comment